“The last three years has seen a huge shift in awareness towards our health. More people are now thinking in terms of what they can do to take control of their wellbeing through nutrition – and, this extends to skincare.”
Claire believes that nutricosmetics, or ‘ingestible beauty’ supplements as they're otherwise known, can complement your regular skincare by providing an ‘inside out’ approach. “It’s not just about what you put on your skin, but also how you can support skin health from within.” In the US, Dove skincare have even brought out a limited edition of Dove X Juice Press smoothies inspired by ingredients in their exfoliating body scrubs (eg: chia seeds, cherry, mango and macadamia nut).
“While there are certain beauty supplements we can all benefit from, such as collagen, magnesium or vitamin C, it’s best to consult a holistic skincare practitioner for a more personalised approach,” recommends Clare. “Healthy skin is dependent on all sorts of different factors – eg: gut health, hormones, managing stress, nutrition. A practitioner can offer advice based on a proper diagnosis (that may also involve blood tests).”
So what ingestible beauty products can help support your skincare regime? Gemma Clare gives us the lowdown:
CollagenCollagen is a major component (protein) in skin that provides structural support and elasticity. Our bodies naturally produce collagen but from around the age of 25, collagen production starts to decline by about one per cent every year. This accelerates after menopause, leading to sagging and wrinkles. Ingestible supplements can help to keep skin more youthful. While some people don't believe that collagen supplementation is beneficial, in a recent study (Nutrients, 2019) on 72 women (aged 35+), it was shown that taking 2.5 g collagen peptide drink daily for 12 weeks led to significant improvements in skin elasticity, hydration, texture and density.
- Ora Aloe Gorgeous, a plant-based collagen booster containing an organic plant-based blend of aloe vera, pea protein, vitamins C and E, and bamboo silicia
- Moon Juice SuperBeauty Capsule, which contains collagen, plus vitamins C and E
Vitamin CVitamin C is a potent antioxidant that boosts collagen, protects against UV and free radical damage, slows down premature skin ageing, promotes wound healing and can help to reduce redness and hyperpigmentation. Vitamin C is water soluble, so, any excess will be excreted out of the system through the urine.
- Altrient Liposomal Vitamin C 1000 mg sachets which are formulated with a scientifically proven liposomal delivery method which ensures maximum absorption.
- WelleCo The Super Elixir which contains 40 plant based ingredients, including vitamin C.
ZincZinc is an important trace element for keeping skin healthy as it has an anti-inflammatory effect and can reduce inflammatory acne and eczema – it’s also needed for the production of collagen and elastin. In a recent meta-analysis (Frontiers in Medicine, 2023) it was found that zinc deficiency can lead to skin disorders including acne, psoriasis, rosacea, dermatitis, melasma and infectious diseases such as warts and herpes.
- Nutriburst Triple Immunity Gummies which include Vitamin C, D3, zinc, and elderberry for immunity support.
Omega 3Omega 3 essential fatty acids (found in walnuts, seafood, oily fish and certain seeds and oils) are renowned for their skin benefits. They lower inflammation, can protect against dry, itchy, eczema prone skin and speed up wound healing. In one study (Skin Pharmacology and Physiology, 2011), women who consumed 2.5ml omega-3 rich flaxseed oil daily experienced a 39 per cent increase in skin hydration after 12 weeks.
- Bare Biology Life & Soul Omega-3 Fish Oil Daily Capsules contains ingredients that are certified for purity.
MushroomsStudies show that medicinal mushrooms contain antioxidants and other bioactive ingredients with many skin benefits, including anti-inflammatory properties.
- Reishi has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and hydrating properties.
- Shiitake has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. May prevent collagen and elastin breakdown.
- Chaga is high in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory
- Cordyceps helps to boost collagen and elastin production, soothes inflammation and offers natural UV protection. Also good for dry, flaky, itchy skin.
- Coprinus reduces oxidative stress, protects against free radical damage, anti-inflammatory.
- Coriolus (turkey tail) is high in antioxidants.
- Hybrid Herbs Mushroom Complex Blend contains a blend of eight high potency mushroom powdered extracts including reishi, chaga and cordyceps.
- Enrichd 7 Mushroom Immunity Blend contains turkey tail, lion's mane, wild chaga, agaricus, reishi, shiitake and maitake.
ProbioticsA healthy gut is essential for healthy skin – taking probiotics can help to improve gut health by rebalancing gut flora. This is particularly important if you’re run down or sick, or have taken antibiotics (which deplete good bacteria).
- Optibac Every Day Probiotic capsules contain 5 billion live cultures (shown to effectively reach the gut).
- Inessa Advanced Biotic Complex contains 50 billion live organisms from 7 science backed strains.
Gemma Clare, Holistic Health Skin & Wellbeing Expert
I am a Holistic Health Skin and Wellbeing expert with 20 years experience working in exclusive settings. My qualifications...Book with Gemma Clare