Nutritionist Saadia Baig says: “I like to adjust my recommendations to the needs of my clients. There are some great, ethical and healthy sugar alternatives out there so there is no need to go without.”
Here is a roundup of Baig’s top recommendations for clients.
- Canadian maple syrup is my favourite sugar alternative. It is the only alkaline sugar available, which means that it does not have an acidic or inflammatory effect on the body. It is also very high in antioxidants
- Lucuma powder is delicious in raw chocolates and baking. I it is also safe for diabetics, high in fibre and B-vitamins
- Cinnamon is fantastic for adding depth and sweetness to drinks and cooking
- Choose raw honey for a great tasting ethical option
- Stevia and Truvia are good options for diabetics because they minimise impact on blood sugars. They can cause occasional digestive distress, so don’t use them if you have digestive issues.